Alpha checkpoint

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Jan 27 08:06:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 11:32 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> - Empathy. When we switched back to pidgin as the default im client late
> in the F10 cycle, we agreed to reevaluate empathy around the time of the
> F11 alpha, and see if the concerns that prevented it from being the
> default in F10 have been addressed.

Another huge issue with the transition was that there was no easy way to
migrate accounts from Pidgin, In recent releases, there is now an
"Import Accounts" button to the accounts dialog which automagically
imports login information from Pidgin. (I have tested this successfully
on Fedora 10 with rawhide Empathy/Telepathy packages, and AIM, Yahoo!
IM, Jabber, and GoogleTalk all were imported nicely).

That should definitely make things a lot simpler for new users who would
be hesitant because of the necessity to re-create a lot of account info.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter at thecodergeek.com>
Who am I? :: http://www.thecodergeek.com/about-me