Cleaning up the Administration menu on the live cd

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 14:07:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 17:38 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Here is a proposal for a drastic first cut, dropping tools that are
> dysfunctional or obsoleted by other modules or of limited use or totally
> uninteresting for the target audience of a desktop spin:
>
> - system-config-boot
> - system-config-language
> - system-config-lvm
> - system-config-network
> - system-config-rootpassword
> - system-config-selinux
> - system-config-services
>
> After this cut, we'll be left with
> - PackageKit stuff
> - authconfig
> - s-c-firewall
> - s-c-printing
> - s-c-users
>
> I fully expect some outcry in reaction to this proposal, but keep in
> mind that the tools will still be available for installation, just not
> directly on the live cd.

Sorry for chiming in late.

I think in the long run it would be good if "Install to Hard Drive" let
the user add the stuff not needed on live media in a simple way (e.g.
"[x] add useful additional software to hard drive" which would for
instance run "yum groupupdate" on some basic groups after the live
medium has been copied to the harddisk). This way we could really strip
the live media of all things usually only used on an installed system
(e.g. authconfig, s-c-users as well) and hopefully everybody would be
happy.

On another note, if anybody decides to drop or supersede something it
would be polite to ping the respective maintainers about it -- some
people only can participate here from time to time and it's kind of not
so motivating if you realize that such discussions have happened or even
decided upon while you were busy elsewhere.

Thanks,
Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty