Interested in scanning?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Jun 9 08:40:50 UTC 2009

On 06/06/2009 05:19 AM, William Jon McCann wrote:
> But what should that be?  From a quick look at the (possibly out of
> date) gnome-scan web page it seems to me that it is trying to be an
> application.  That approach may have similar problems to those of
> sound-juicer.  Basically this is somewhat hard to solve if we don't
> have a rhythmbox for photos... unless we do something like the
> screenshot tool where we offer a few fixed options:
>    1. Save to Photos
>    2. Upload to Flickr
>    3. Upload to Picasa
>    4. Save as PDF

The operations I do the most are:
1. send the image by mail (but I prefer to save first so I can send more
than one file in each email);
2. edit the image with GIMP.

I don't think is a good idea for us to promote by default the usage of
proprietary services (flickr, picasaweb). Maybe by default we should
offer uploading by sftp and to gallelry2 and flickr and picasaweb be
installable plug-ins.

> Incidentally whatever we do we should do the same for cameras...

Cameras have a different usage pattern, usually you download from the
camera a large amount of images and do something with them (selection,
cropping) before publishing.