We can make fedora easier

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:06:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 02:08:50PM +0300, Tareq Al Jurf wrote:
>    Yup
>    since the majority of new Fedora users come from windows
>    we want to make it easy for them

1. Do you have statistics supporting this?

2. Do we really want to be like Windows, if people are switching away
from it for something better?

>    Another issue we should discuss is the Keyboard Layout Key
>    this is a problem for bilingual Fedora users (like me)
>    Why don't we make the default ALT+SHIFT
>    I think it's the most popular

Again, you'd need something to back this up, but I expect you could
discuss this with the Fedora I18n engineering folks who work on
multilingual support tools, as opposed to this list.

>    for my self, when i install Fedora i add the Arabic then change the key
>    right away
>
>    In my opinion
>    The idea should be to make Fedora easier, more comfortable and ready to
>    use for 90% of the users even if we should sometimes leave the upstream.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream

There are sometimes reasons to diverge but we don't pursue it as our
first option.  The above page is important to understand if you're
interested in work as a Fedora Ambassador.