A new notification theme

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:57:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 02:08:06PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 13:10 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>

> > I'm also concerned about the timing of this... I take it this wasn't
> > ready at feature freeze?
>
> Not to throw stones, but I'll point out that we had the notification
> theme in before the F12 backgrounds...

If you don't want to throw stones, the answer is simple: Don't.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/?package=constantine-backgrounds#package_maintenance/tools/changelog

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/?package=notification-daemon-engine-slider#package_maintenance/tools/changelog

The changes in the background over the course of the F12 cycle were
discussed on the design-team list repeatedly as they were made, and
comments invited via blogs and the list.  The latest iteration was
*packaged* after freeze, but that was through an exception the Design
team requested specifically from Rel-Eng.

We could have a more rational discussion if someone could simply point
to some reference or data and say, "We changed the theme for the
default desktop away from what was already being produced because this
data tells us that our design is more effective at notifying people."

Similarly, we could have more *courteous* discussions in future
situations like this if someone was to present that information in
advance and say, "We understand you are working on something that
doesn't seem to fit the data and ideas we have.  Here's why we think
that's the wrong way to go for the Desktop spin.  Do you have
information we don't have that says otherwise?"