desktop spin page content?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 21 23:57:05 UTC 2009

Hi Jóhann!

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:56:15 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> I think we should not..
>
> In fact I think we should rename the desktop spin to
> Fedora-Gnome-Desktop spin and say we should not as the Fedora project
> choose one DE or application over another.
>
> Let the DE compete among them selves on even grounds.

I think you've probably missed a lot of context here, and I can easily
see how you might draw this conclusion not having been aware of it.

For a quick summary, the Fedora Board stated a requirement of providing
one download for new Fedora users on get.fedoraproject.org, so we can
avoid overwhelming them with choices. As the designer assigned to help
meet that requirement, I strongly agree with it, and a design has been
proposed and already set into motion over the past 3 months or so. These
designs were posted on the Fedora wiki, Planet Fedora, and many various
Fedora mailing lists including the websites list, spins list, logistics
list, advisory board list, and I believe the design-team list too. All
of the spin maintainers have well aware of these designs for some time
now, and after some lengthy discussion even the KDE SIG is willing to
give the new design a try to see how it performs.

If you would like specific references to any of these previous
discussions, please email me privately and I will be more than happy to
provide you URLs.

If you have concerns with that decision, the proper way to express that
concern is to address the Board directly, since they set the
requirement. This list just isn't the right place, and right now we're
on a tight deadline so we need to stay focused on making a decision here
so I can meet my deliverables, which the websites team is depending on.

I really appreciate your understanding on this! :)

~m