Some recent changes

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 22:31:08 UTC 2009

Matthias Clasen said the following on 10/20/2009 09:58 AM Pacific Time:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 22:17 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Making such changes in the end of the release means that we will have to
>> rush to document them in the release notes which are already frozen for
>> translations just as a single example of the problem of doing things now
>> instead of earlier in the release cycle. Even minor tweaks tend to have
>> a big impact.
>
> Then we need a longer release cycle. After feature freeze, add a polish
> period, followed by a string and documentation freeze. Seriously, do you
> think we have been doing nothing all summer only to sneak this stuff in
> late behind your back ?!
>
> I have added a section outlining these changes to the desktop beat for
> the release notes.

Part of the problem on this thread is that everyone has different
interpretations of what our schedule milestones mean... including "final
freeze" or "beta freeze" and they aren't well documented on the wiki.
I'm hoping to work on this.  Another problem is that some people were
"surprised" by the change.

So as not to surprise people in the future it would be excellent to
outline in advance when the desktop team plans to have certain things
done by.  Then people will know that things could change up until that
date.  I'm not advocating something super detailed.... probably 5 or 6
different milestones would be sufficient? Or if you wish we could go the
route of a detailed team schedule like:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/f-12-design-tasks.html

Here is a first draft of the Fedora 13 Schedule:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/Schedule

It would be great get your feedback now on how to make the Fedora 13
better by including a mock up with dates and names of the phases you are
suggesting.  I can build these things into the detailed development
schedule so that people have a better idea what to expect.  And if you
really believe a longer schedule would help, suggested dates for that
would be helpful as well.  I can't promise the schedule will be longer,
but at least it can be part of the overall discussion.

Bottom line I'd like to help make this better if I can and do that by
adding a few milestones to our schedule.

Thanks,
John