long running sessions, restarts, etc.

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 29 19:28:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> And I think what Bill is saying is that a lot of users will not want to
> logout. They will want to just restart the app in question, if they are told
> which apps are impacted.

This is what I meant in saying it's case by case, not something where one
policy applies to all software.  If you just updated Firefox, then yes, we
can and should have a system which knows how to restart just that
application.

The discussion started about infrastructure bits, like:

> I don't expect to have to reboot just b/c of an issue in the sound server.

Not reboot for this one but relogin.  Well, you can choose not to of course,
but the point of an update is to actually update what's running on people's
computers.  If the system doesn't reliably get us there it's not working..