[fedora-java] Re: [JPackage-discuss] Why libswt3-gtk2 isn't split between lib and plugin? also multiple SWTs and GCJ binaries

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Apr 11 03:24:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:14:22PM -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> What about Java-GNOME?

Java-GNOME is a fine project, but in all honesty, SWT is a
tried-tested-and-true solution. Moreover it gives you cross-platform
compatibility to Windows (and like it or not, Windows does
matter on the desktop).

I don't use many Java apps on the desktop. In fact, I used to
*hate* java for desktop app because of Swing (mind you, I do
Java for a living :)). And yeah, AWT is a joke nowadays for
anything serious, so it's not even worth a mention.

Eclipse changed all that for me. It showed me that a Java app
can look and feel "native". It's nice. If I needed to do a
desktop app and wanted to code it in Java, why pick anything
else other than SWT for my toolkit?

--
Dimi.