[fedora-java] Netbeans 5.0-beta2 , Sun Application Server 8.1 and Java-gcj

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 16:10:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 19:36 -0600, John Himpel wrote:
> Not wanting to "pile on" on the thread from Dan Thurman, but I am unable
> to install the Netbeans 5.0 beta2 + AS 8.1 with java-gcj-compat
> installed (one single download & install from Sun).

gcj is not java, but happens to run lots of programs written in the java
programming language.  We'd like for it to run more.  I'd like to
suggest a two pronged approach to your current problem:

Prong 1: File bugs in bugzilla.redhat.com.  Commit to understanding and
working through any issues with us so that one day we can run any Open
Source software that is important to you.  This requires commitment and
effort on all our parts.

Prong 2: Install SUN's JDK using the Jpackage technique -- not Sun's
RPM, and use "alternatives --config java" and "alternatives --config
javac" so you can get your other work done.

Thanks!

AG