FW: [fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Dec 22 23:51:30 UTC 2005

>From: fedora-devel-java-list-bounces at redhat.com

*** I replied earlier but somehow this did not get
    listed in the newsgroup - so this is a 2nd resend.

Ok, with some in-depth searching, I finally got eclipse/tomcat
to work but with manual tweaking....

Here is what I did so far:

1) The JPackage tomcat5 was left alone, and it was installed
(/usr/share/tomcat5 w/ links to other places, one of which is
/var/lib/tomcat5).

2) Installed Apache's Tomcat v5.5.12 to /usr/local directory,
created the tomcat environment script in /etc/profiles.d/tomcat.sh,
tested and ensured that I could run it from script (startup.sh and
shutdown.sh) and ensured my browser can see the default pages at
port 8080.

3) Started Fedora's Eclipse, CVS'ed my 'Dynamic Web' application,
and re-configured for Fedora environment, selected Tomcat v5.5,
provided the installation directory (/usr/local/tomcat-5.5.12),
continued the dialog and it fails to continue after the selection
of the dynamic-web application with the message that the contents
of <workspace>/Server/Tomcat v5.5 Server @ localhost-config was either
corrupted or empty.  The fact here was that Eclipse was not able to
create/copy files into this directory - so what I did was to run Eclipse
on my Windows Platorm and followed similar steps and I noticed the
the files created there and missing (in askerisks) in the Fedora-side
workspace structure:

<Eclipse workspace>
  Servers
    Tomcat v5.5 Server @ losthost-config
      catalina.policy *
      xerver.xml *
      tomcat-users.xml *
      web.xml *
    .project *
    .runtime *

So - as a manual step, I copied all these files from the windows
workspace over to the Fedora workspace, edited server.xml to change
the '<Context docBase="...."  /> to refelect the workspace
application source.

Next, I had to shutdown tomcat (I had it running before) outside of
Eclipse (cannot do this within Eclipse), then go to the Servers Tab
of Eclipse, and right-click and choose "Start" and lo' tomcat started
running!

I then proceeded to open the web-browser, entered:
http://localhost:8080/MyWebApp and it ran fine.

As a test, I changed the /var/lib/tomcat5/server/lib directory to a link
pointing to: /usr/local/tomcat-5.5.12/server/lib and back while testing
(why I did this is because these Eclipse tomcat plug-in has jar file links
pointing to it) but it turns out that this had no direct effect for now.

So it appears, that there is a problem with Tomcat version supplied by
JPackage and Eclipse was not able to copy the over the needed Tomcat
server files over and into the Eclipse Server directory with either
tomcat versions.  I am not sure what is causing these problems at this
time.

Dan