[fedora-java] Eclipse + Sysdeo tomcat plugin problem on FC4/i386

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 00:21:46 UTC 2005

Despite having the java and eclipse RPMs installed, I've decide to
stick to the original tarball distributions of java, tomcat and
eclipse for the moment (that setup works perfectly for me on FC2,
FC3).

Eclipse is in my home directory, Java is in /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04
(with /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin at the top of my PATH env var). My
Tomcat is in /opt/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/....

I run eclipse as per normal and it works great, except when I use the
Tomcat plugin from Sysdeo (tomcatPluginV31beta.zip) to start the
Tomcat engine.

Here is the console output from Eclipse when I attempt to start Tomcat:

Jul 7, 2005 1:09:10 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
WARNING: Can't load server.xml
Jul 7, 2005 1:09:10 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
WARNING: Can't load server.xml
Jul 7, 2005 1:09:10 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 0 ms
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:600)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:560)
	... 6 more

I suspect it's clashing with something already installed. I don't
really want to remove java and all it's dependancies from my system
unless absolutely necessary. The sysdeo plugin in configured properly
(I think) -- it's configured to use the Sun JavaVM.

Any ideas how I can diagnose this further?

Thanks,
Joe.