[fedora-java] Eclipse Automated Tests

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 20:25:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

I spent a bit of time this past week getting the Eclipse automated tests
set up as an RPM and making them runnable as a regular user.  Thanks to
Jeremy Handcock and Aaron Luchko, the former was little work.  The latter,
however, required me to don my hacking gloves.

The tests themselves are 72 MB as distributed upstream.  They're pre-built
and that's how I've included them in the RPM (mostly because I haven't had
time to work out how to build them or find a source zip of them); this
isn't much of a concern for me ATM as we're not going to ship them in FC at
least for the time being.  I've put what I've got here:

http://people.redhat.com/overholt/eclipse/

I've got some minor klu^H^H^H^ patches to allow for running of the tests as
regular users and for writing the results to an arbitrary directory which
I've put there as well so that people can see them without downloading the
entire SRPM to re"build".  There are things that need to be done to make
the process better and I've put them in the specfile as a TODO list which
I'll mirror here:

# . make runtests-wrapper better (a python script?)
# . verify changes made to allow running as non-root
# . why does the HTML translation not really work?
# . why does having eclipse-tests installed make every startup of eclipse
#   run in some sort of testing mode?
# . why is there a "- option not found" error?
# . do "/usr/share" -> "%{_datadir}" sed --in-place for the scripts and
#   patched xml files in the specfile
# . are the dependencies all correct?

I'd really love to have lots of people run these tests so that we can
diagnose problems with our packaging and/or the native compilation.  If
anyone has time to help (a more robust runtests-wrapper is what's most
needed; I've tried to prioritize the rest of the list), I'd really
appreciate it.

If anyone does download and re-build the SRPM [1], you can run the tests
like this after installing [2]:

RESULT_HOME=<whereyouwanttheresults> \
/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.test/runtests-wrapper

Thanks,

Andrew

[1]
Your way or something like:

mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
echo "%_topdir /home/<your_username>/rpmbuild" >> ~/.rpmmacros
rpmbuild --rebuild eclipse-tests-3.1.0_fc-4.src.rpm

[2]
sudo rpm -Uvh ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/<your_arch>/eclipse-tests-3.1.0_fc-4.<arch>.rpm