[fedora-java] Re: [OX Devel] Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

Stephen Crawley crawley at dstc.edu.au
Thu Jul 14 01:56:03 UTC 2005

You wrote:
> The problem is that we have public javax.mail API's that return class
> instances from the internal package com.sun.mail.

Really?

My reading was that the javax.mail.Folder is clean.  The problem is
that some key public methods com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPFolder do not have
corresponding methods in a javax.mail.* interface.

The net result is that someone trying to access the "IMAP ACL extension"
functionality cannot avoid using vendor specific APIs.  The same applies
to other IMAP functionality and to functionality in the other providers.

Someone ought to report this to Sun as a defect in the JavaMail 1.3
APIs.  The APIs have not been touched since JSR 919 in 2002!

-- Steve