[fedora-java] Re: [OX Devel] Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

Martin Kauss bishoph at open-xchange.org
Thu Jul 14 12:32:57 UTC 2005

Am Jul 13, 2005 08:17 PM schrieb David Walluck <david at zarb.org>:

> Martin Kauss <bishoph at open-xchange.org> wrote:
>
> > The complete part "Rights" is missing in the classpath
> > implementation or i was not able to find it
> > (http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/javamail/javadoc/alphaindex.html).
>
> The problem is that Rights, as well as ACL and Quota, are in a com.sun
> package.
>
> Quoting from the documentation:
>
> ``In general, applications should not need to use the classes in this package
> directly. Instead, they should use the APIs defined by javax.mail package (and
> subpackages).

> WARNING: The APIs unique to this package should be considered
> EXPERIMENTAL. They
> may be changed in the future in ways that are incompatible with applications
> using the current APIs.''
>
> The problem is that we have public javax.mail API's that return class
> instances
> from the internal package com.sun.mail.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> David Walluck
> <david at zarb.org>

Hi.

OX makes use of the class IMAPFolder and there you have the method
addRights(ACL acl) which lead us to setRights(Rights rights)
and there we find the Rights.

The GNU classpath javamail API does not have the method addRights(ACL acl)
and no setRights(Rights rights) in the IMAPFolder class, see

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/javamail/javadoc/gnu/mail/providers/imap/IMAPFolder.html

The main issue is not to use class instances (replacements),
the main issue is that the classpath API does currently not
implement methods needed by OX.

However, you are right, the class is experimental,
but for some reasons also the GNU classpath people
have implement a clone of this class. In fact we/you
have to investigate if OX can offer the same functionality
by using other classes and what is the effort/benefit
of such a change.

Greetings,

Martin Kauss