[fedora-java] Re: [OX Devel] Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

Chris Burdess dog at bluezoo.org
Thu Jul 14 18:26:11 UTC 2005

Martin Kauss wrote:
>> The problem is that Rights, as well as ACL and Quota, are in a com.sun
>> package.
>
> OX makes use of the class IMAPFolder and there you have the method
> addRights(ACL acl) which lead us to setRights(Rights rights)
> and there we find the Rights.
>
> The GNU classpath javamail API does not have the method addRights(ACL
> acl)
> and no setRights(Rights rights) in the IMAPFolder class, see
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/javamail/javadoc/gnu/mail/
> providers/imap/IMAPFolder.html
>
> The main issue is not to use class instances (replacements),
> the main issue is that the classpath API does currently not
> implement methods needed by OX.

You haven't asked for them at any time, so it hasn't even been on our
to-do list.

> However, you are right, the class is experimental,

It's not that it's experimental. It's that it's a private Sun
implementation, it is not part of the API, and it will never be present
in a free Java runtime.

> but for some reasons also the GNU classpath people
> have implement a clone of this class.

It's not a clone. It's a completely different private implementation,
that is still not part of the API.

As Stephen Crawley noted, the problem is that the public API is
underspecified and in order to use advanced IMAP functionality you need
to use private implementations.

> In fact we/you
> have to investigate if OX can offer the same functionality
> by using other classes and what is the effort/benefit
> of such a change.

The underlying library used by the GNU providers is called inetlib. It
provides a much lower-level API to IMAP and other network protocols. If
you want performance, and you can live without a MIME framework, it may
be of interest to you.

If you just want ACL support in the GNU IMAP provider, we can schedule
it in for the next release.
--
Chris Burdess