[fedora-java] Odd ClassNotFoundException with RSSOwl

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 15:24:33 UTC 2005

Hi,

Ben Pasero was kind enough to create an RSSOwl release for me with the
Eclipse dependency removed (ie. it just depends upon SWT).  I built this
code against our SWT RPMs but I'm getting weird errors while running.  For
example, if I put in Slashdot's RSS feed into the location bar, it will
load the headlines fine but fail when I click on one to get the actual
story.  This is what I'm doing:

gij -cp
/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.1.0.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/BlowfishJ.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/codec-1.3.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/httpclient-3.0.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/iTextAsian.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/itext.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/jdom.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/jface.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/logging-1.0.4.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/res.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/swt.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/swt-nl.jar:/home/overholt/rssowl/xerces.jar
-jar rssowl.jar

(with Sun's JVM, I just have to add -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib).  The
error I get is:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.Status not found in gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:rssowl.jar,file:./], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String, boolean) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
   ...19 more

and with Sun's stuff:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/runtime/IStatus
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.dialog.ValidateFeedDialog.createDialogArea(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.dialog.ValidateFeedDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.EventManager.actionValidateFeeds(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.panel.ErrorPanel$2.widgetSelected(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1021)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2867)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2572)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.GUI.runEventLoop(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.GUI.showGui(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.main(Unknown Source)

Both classes that are apparently not found are in the first jar on the
classpath.  Any ideas?

I've put the jars here:  http://overholt.ca/rssowl.tar.bz2

Andrew