[fedora-java] recommendations for coexistence with Sun-jre

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 17:57:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 13:45 -0400, Zlatin Balevsky wrote:
> Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> >>Yes, we recommend creating a Sun JPackage RPM, then installing that.
> >>All the java tools in /usr/bin will then point to Sun's Java
> >>implementation.
> >>

> >And in case you're unfamiliar with JPackage, that's easy to do; a quick
> >paraphrase of http://jpackage.org/rebuilding.php:
> >
> >1. Download and install the nosrc rpm http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=2546
> >
> >2. Put the Sun package in your rpmbuild/SOURCES
> >
> >3. rpmbuild -ba rpmbuild/SPECS/java....spec
> >
> >4. enjoy your RPMs in rpmbuild/RPMS/
> >
> >5. Add your name and a comments to
> >http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4680244.html
> >to get Sun to produce reasonable RPMs in the first place!
> >
> >--
> >

> That is all swell for me and you guys, but my target audience are
> desktop end-users - any need to use the shell or any extra steps are
> very detrimental to their experience.

If the app you're providing your end-users requires Sun's JRE then
you're effectively forcing them to use the shell anyway, to install
Sun's RPM.

Hopefully GCJ will soon be able to run the Lime Wire client, in which
case there will be no need for an extra installation step.  Feel free to
test, using java-gcj-compat, and report any bugs you find.

>   Is it possible to automate all
> these steps in the preinstall / postinstall scripts of a stub rpm?

There is also the java-1.4.2-sun-compat package from JPackage.  It
installs on top of Sun's standard RPMs and creates a tree of
compatibility symlinks.

Tom