[fedora-java] Weird ecj + utf8 issue

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 21:58:45 UTC 2005

I came across a weird issue while trying to build rssowl.  I've attached
the test file.  Trying this works:

  ecj RSSOwlI18nZHtw.java

while this appears to hang:

  ecj -encoding utf8 RSSOwlI18nZHtw.java

I can reproduce this behaviour on both an x86 box running an Eclipse 3.1
ecj (built myself) and on a ppc box running Eclipse 3.1 RC3 (the RPMs we
have in rawhide).  Using Sun's javac (on the x86 box) does not hang when
I use "-encoding utf8".  All are FC4 machines (with gcc*-4.0.0-11 in the
x86 case and gcc*-4.0.0-13 in the ppc case).

To add to the bizarre-ness, this appears to be as small as I can make
the test file without it being unable to reproduce the problem; I can't
seem to remove any of the lines if I want to continue to reproduce.  In
another interesting twist, renaming the file (and class) to "TestUTF8"
does not reproduce the problem.

Anyone know what's going on?

Andrew