[fedora-java] New Eclipse stuff in rawhide

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Sun Mar 6 17:08:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 01:36 -0500, Ben Konrath wrote:
> Hi Phil/Anthony,
>
> On Sat, 2005-05-03 at 22:04 -0600, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> > We have to make some alterations to the assumptions that those releng
> > plug-ins make (they make the assumption that it is okay to cvs co -r
> > {tag} the code right at build time - we disagree, due to various
> > security/code quality/infrastructure issues); they also attempt to
> > download an upstream Eclipse SDK to build against - again we disagreed
> > and disabled. These changes are applied as a patch against the
> > sdk/customTargets.xml, and the platform/customTargets.xml
>
> Just one small correction, an Eclipse releng plugin will not try to
> download the SDK. You are expected to have an SDK downloaded and
> unpacked before you start a build. So the only thing that needs to be
> disabled is the fetch target of the releng build.xml.

Some do, the CDT won't. Here is an example of a target in the GEF
customTargets.xml:

<target name="getBaseEclipse" unless="baseExists">
<taskdef name="stripVersions" classname="org.eclipse.releng.VersionNumberStripper" />
<property file="${buildDirectory}/maps/org.eclipse.gef.releng/maps/build.cfg"/>
<get src="${eclipseURL}/eclipse-SDK-${eclipseBuildID}-win32.zip" dest="${buildDirectory}/../eclipse-SDK.zip"/>
	<exec dir="${buildDirectory}/.." executable="unzip">
		<arg line="-o -qq eclipse-SDK.zip"/>
   	</exec>

It's was just an example of an assumption these scripts can make, though
reading back in the mail I do see to making the case that all of them
make them, so point taken ;)

> > We've been debating this build approach (the pde builds) for awhile. Is
> > it is good approach? That's up for debate; we've talked about changing
> > it. Ben Konrath has been experimenting with a different build approach.
> > Once the dust settles on test 1, this would be a good place to debate
> > alternate build methods that a) don't stray too far away from the
> > upstream build process and make it painful to integrate; b) allow
> > friendlier third party building outside of rpm that does not require a
> > week's learning about the pde build method.
>
> I have a solution already in mind but it will take some upstream
> changes. I've done a bit of work towards this but I haven't had time to
> finish it off. If it's important, I can try bugging the Eclipse people
> again and see if I can get some traction.

I'd like to try and see if there are other solutions from the list out
there, before we move on to the Eclipse fellas. Who knows, someone might
already have the perfect nirvana of build systems for releng plugins
just waiting out there ;)

Regards

Phil