[fedora-java] New Eclipse stuff in rawhide

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 21:22:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 15:39 -0500, Ben Konrath wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 12:27 -0600, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:13 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> > > I think the key point is that whatever we do has to be supported by
> > > eclipse.org.  Any other way means maintaining our own build system.
> >
> > It's going to have to work with releng plug-ins then, as that is their
> > build approach. Releng plug-ins produce tarballs now on a Linux
> > platform, so we are halfway there.  The releng plug-ins are fairly
> > atomic in nature too, so it is all good. This is completely different to
> > how jpackage.org build eclipse-* rpms, so pick one or the other I guess.
>
> My proposal is definitely more in line with the releng build approach.
> For the first part of the proposal, I want to give the releng process
> the ability to generate a srcIncluded zips [1] for all plugins. This zip
> file would be very similar to what we generate ourselves right now. Part
> of this solution involves coming up with a way to build native code in
> an automatic way - at least from the perspective of the person building
> the plugin. Patches for this are in bugzilla but it needs a little more
> work (see below).

Ok, just to make sure we are on the same track here. There are two
definitions of native code when we talk about releng plugin stuff. Are
you talking about when the project itself has to generate native code
(like the CDT does for some bits, like the linux/win32/solaris etc
fragments), which we have to do in the SPEC files manually (instead of
using the packaged prebuilt .so's).

Or the second definition, where we compile all the produced jars
to .so's with gcj in the spec file?

I suspect you are talking about the first, (fwiw I think the second case
should always remain in the spec files).

> > In building the RPM, are you proposing the the releng plug-in should
> > deliver an RPM, or just a tarball like it delivers now? I can see merit
> > in both ways, but how we would be add on all the %post/%postun stuff,
> > and the actual jar -> so building bits on an automatic releng approach?
> > All that stuff is pretty Fedora specific.
> >
> > If it is as it is now, the SPEC files for eclipse-* are totally generic
> > in nature (were written that way), so it is sort of automatic. Not
> > automatic enough, though ;)
>
> If we get my proposed solution upstream, the spec files would become
> more generic - it might even be possible to write a small script to
> automatically package plugins.

I thought about doing this when I wrote up the original native plugin
spec files for changelog/cdt etc, but each project is too quirky in its
own little way. We might get to where you are proposing, it would sure
be nice!

This list sure has been busy today, which is great. Go-go fedora-devel-
java-list!

Phil