[fedora-java] tomcat5

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 9 12:50:17 UTC 2005

On Mer 9 mars 2005 12:39, Gary Benson a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> The symlinks are actually just a security (yes the jvm includes
>> stuff we need). You can probably point them to any jar you like - if
>> the stuff in internal to the jvm it'll be added to the classpath
>> anyway.
>>
>> It's nicer to point them to the real implementation though, if only
>> to document the jvm internal layout.
>
> Would it be better perhaps to replace the symlinks with empty jar
> files?  Or maybe jarfiles containing only a README to indicate that
> the classes that would be in there are now in the core classpath?

Both would work - the classpath builder only cares about finding a file
with the right name in the right place, and jvms only require real jar
files (they don't handle well files with .jar extensions that are not a
jar archive).

I like symlinking the bits which provide the extension better (sometimes
when you need to debug a crash it's convenient to have a symlink that
shows you for example that the xml parser inside IBM jvms is just some
xerces version), but that might only be pedantic me.

I must say that if the problem is no one knows where the gcj bits that do
jndi are it's a bit worrying in itself ;)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot