[fedora-java] [Patch] Improving gcj-dbtool performance

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 14:10:28 UTC 2005

Vadim Nasardinov writes:
 > On Friday 11 March 2005 08:56, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > >  > Do we have a mechanism in place to enforce serialization of two
 > >  > or more concurrent attempts to apply this technique?
 > >
 > > No.  You'd have to be trying to install two packages simultaneously
 > > for this to happen.  Don't Do That.
 >
 > I wasn't going to, but someone else might.  I'm fine with that.
 > Someone else might not be.
 >
 > So, the assumption is that the only way to modify the db is by
 > installing/uninstalling RPMs.  Is that correct?

No, not at all.  The assumption is that if you're adding a package to
the common shared region, or indeed removing one, it's not a good idea
to try doing several at the same time.

I'm sure it's possible to do filesystem locking if anyone thing this
is necessary.  The problem is, of course, that someone might want to
do more than one update.

Andrew.