[fedora-java] failing jar compilation

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 11:17:01 UTC 2005

Andrew Overholt writes:

 > However, with both gcc head and our latest gcc-java RPMs
 > (gcc-java-4.0.0-0.33), 3b. is failing for me:
 >
 >   $ gcj -fPIC -fjni -findirect-dispatch -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o ecj.withecj.jar.so ecj.withecj.jar
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java: In class 'org.eclipse.jdt.core.CheckDebugAttributes':
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java: In constructor '()':
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=5: premature end of bytecode
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=6: premature end of bytecode
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=6: branch to middle of instruction
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=5: premature end of bytecode
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=6: premature end of bytecode
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=7: stack sizes differ
 >   org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
 >
 > As opposed to:
 >
 >   $ gcj -fPIC -fjni -findirect-dispatch -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o ecj.withjavac.jar.so ecj.withjavac.jar
 >   $
 >
 > Anyone have any ideas?  I've put the two jars at [1] until I can narrow it
 > down for a proper bug report.
 >
 > Andrew
 >
 > [1]
 > http://people.redhat.com/overholt/ecj.withecj.jar
 > http://people.redhat.com/overholt/ecj.withjavac.jar

 $ fastjar tf ~/ecj.withecj.jar | sort

META-INF/
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
org/
org/eclipse/
org/eclipse/jdt/
org/eclipse/jdt/core/
org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.class
org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.class

Yeah. I know gcj should give a better error message.  Nonetheless, the
cause of the problem is pretty obvious.

Andrew.