[fedora-java] gcj-db directory and merge/update scripts

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 06:18:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 16:07 -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 13:07 -0600, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> > Lets pin down where we want to put the application .db's that will be
> > merged into the main gcj db. We are about the make changes to the
> > Eclipse spec files to take advantage of the new central .db idea.
> >
> > How about something like:
> >
> > /var/cache/gcj-db-{gcj-version-no} or something to that effect?
>
> I think Jakub pointed out that this was a bad idea since it doesn't work
> for multi-ABI systems.  I believe that he proposed placing this
> in /usr/$LIB, where $LIB is ABI dependent, or adding an ABI key to the
> database.  The first option is certainly less work.

That will work for me. I'm ambivalent to the actual location, as long as
we can agree on somewhere. ;) Something like /usr/$LIB/gcj-db-{version}?
I think the reason behind the version (I'm guessing from previous talks)
is to avoid issues if the db changes format. As Tom mentioned, all the
applications .dbs have to reside in some standard location to deal with
%uninstall of any rpm that previously merged in a db to the master db.

As Eclipse seems to be the only consumer of the db's in Core at the
moment (maybe Jonas in the future?), maybe this sort of thing should be
talked about on Extras too, based on a the presumption that eventually
we shall see many consumers popping up there? Well, hopefully.

Regards

Phil