[fedora-java] java-gcjHEAD-compat (or "How to use your gcc build to run Eclipse")

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Tue May 17 18:49:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 16:56 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Tom Fitzsimmons and I (okay, it was mostly Tom ;) worked out how to have a
> set of alternatives for java, javac, etc. that can use a non-system gcc
> installation.  This will allow you to easily run our Eclipse packages
> (among others) using your gcc builds.
>
> [...]
> 6. install the resulting RPM (should be in ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/<ARCH>/)

Do you then run java-1.4.2-gcjHEAD-compat in parallel with the stock
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat?  I would assume so, since eclipse packages
require the stock package.  This means that installation should be
forced due to file conflicts, right?

During the latest rawhide update I noticed some eclipse packages failed
to upgrade properly (i.e. I had both version M6.15 and M6.16 installed).
I didn't look into it closely, but could this be a result of having both
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat and java-1.4.2-gcjHEAD-compat installed?

Thanks for the tip, BTW :)
--
Ziga