[fedora-java] Release Notes

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 12:44:25 UTC 2005

Anthony Green writes:
 > The current "Java" content for the release notes (from FC4) are pretty
 > slim.  I'll quote them below with my comments and questions...
 >
 > > Fedora Core 4 users are advised not to use the Java RPM provided by
 > > Sun. It contains Provides that conflict with names used in packages
 > > provided as part of Fedora Core 4. Because of this, Sun Java might
 > > disappear from an installed system during package upgrade operations.
 >
 > I assume this is still true.  Does anybody have a pointer to the
 > details?
 >
 > > Fedora Core 4 users should use either the RPM available from
 > > http://www.jpackage.org/, or manually install the Sun Java tarball
 > > into `/opt/`.
 >
 > I think we should discourage the /opt solution, since it doesn't
 > integrate with out alternatives-based solution.

Absolutely.  Something more like "You may manually install the Sun
Java tarball into `/opt/`, but this is not a recommended configuration
because it doesn't integrate with our alternatives-based solution."

 > Also, I thought there were problems with using the binary RPM from
 > JPackage, and users _have_ to rebuild from the SRPM.  Does anybody
 > know about this?
 >
 > > Sun Java 1.5+ is recommended for stability purposes.
 >
 > Is this really true?   What about IBM or BEA?  Should we even be
 > making specific recommendations here?  Perhaps this is best
 > avoided.

I think it is, yes.

Can we get these release notes fixed in FC4, rather than waiting for FC5?

Andrew.