[fedora-java] Moving aot-compile-rpm and rebuild-gcj-db out of java-gcj-compat

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 11:38:45 UTC 2005

Gary Benson writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > David Walluck writes:
 > > > Also, I thought aot-compile was a good script, but it was done
 > > > away with. Wouldn't it make sense to bring this back and have a
 > > > script that didn't rely on rpm, and then have rpm call this script
 > > > instead? This way, not only other RPM-based distros, but possibly
 > > > Debian or Ubuntu could even pick it up.
 > >
 > > aot-compile-rpm doesn't rely on RPM at all -- it's just REALLY badly
 > > named!  :-)
 >
 > Not strictly true. It does have RPM-specific bits, but they're very
 > very small: 10 lines out of 436.  I spoke to some of the Debian and
 > Ubuntu guys at DevJam about abstracting it but that's difficult to do
 > whilst it's alternatives-managed.
 >
 > Of course, doing this would make rpm a particularly bad home for it.
 > The obvious place is in gcc itself (and aot-compile-rpm itself could
 > either go there or in rpm) but that would mean being tied to gcc's
 > necessarily slow release cycle.

gcc doesn't seem to be having a very slow release cycle at the moment:
we've seen GCC 4.0.2 in September, GCC 4.0.1 in July and GCC 4.0.0 in
April.

I can't see any good reason not to move aot-compile-* to gcc, with a
view eventially to make it unnecessary by folding all its functions
into gcj itself.

Andrew.