[fedora-java] gcj-dbtool --rebuild

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Sat Nov 12 08:04:28 UTC 2005

David Walluck writes:

 > Gary Benson wrote:
 > > Also, the per-package databases are in $prefix/lib/gcj/$name these
 > > days.
 >
 > Someone mentioned that files in /usr/lib are not necessarily writable,
 > so that could break both the rebuild-gcj-db and rebuild-security
 > providers. But these scripts are only (normally) called  by rpm when it
 > installs or uninstalls packages and /usr/lib must be writable at this point.

Ah, but /usr might be *shared* between several computers, and each one
needs to have its own master database.  So that master database can't
be in /usr.

 > I don't know how I feel about the Makefile idea. In any case, it
 > should never require user intervention.  What besides sendmail is
 > using this method anyhow? IMO, `make' should be touched by
 > packagers only, certainly not by end users, and not even by system
 > admins.

They won't need to.  The question here is how we fix our existing
scripts so that they don't do unnecessary work.  If we do that, then
they can be called unconditionally.  make is the right answer here,
because it's a tool that already knows how to do the dependency
analysis that's needed.

 > Their work is supposed to be done by rpm out of the box must of the
 > time. One of the good points about the existing scripts is that
 > they are (a) completely managed by rpm (b) transparent to the user
 > *unless they fail of course).

And no-one wants to change that.

Andrew.