[fedora-java] Release Notes

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Sat Oct 22 23:15:05 UTC 2005

The current "Java" content for the release notes (from FC4) are pretty
slim.  I'll quote them below with my comments and questions...

> Fedora Core 4 users are advised not to use the Java RPM provided by
> Sun. It contains Provides that conflict with names used in packages
> provided as part of Fedora Core 4. Because of this, Sun Java might
> disappear from an installed system during package upgrade operations.

I assume this is still true.  Does anybody have a pointer to the
details?

> Fedora Core 4 users should use either the RPM available from
> http://www.jpackage.org/, or manually install the Sun Java tarball
> into `/opt/`.

I think we should discourage the /opt solution, since it doesn't
integrate with out alternatives-based solution.

Also, I thought there were problems with using the binary RPM from
JPackage, and users _have_ to rebuild from the SRPM.  Does anybody
know about this?

> Sun Java 1.5+ is recommended for stability purposes.

Is this really true?   What about IBM or BEA?  Should we even be
making specific recommendations here?  Perhaps this is best
avoided.

Thanks,

AG