[fedora-java] Java developer needed to help with Fedora Docs Project infrastructure

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 09:36:44 UTC 2005

Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> So, here is how you could help.  We'd first like to get Apache FOP
> native compiled using gcj and then maybe add in some open-source PNG
> or JPG rendering libraries.

Well, the first step would be to download the binary rpms from
JPackage and see if they work with libgcj interpreted.  I had to
install fop, batik, rhino and xmlbeans, but it seemed to work for
the few basic examples I tried.

Next I suppose you would have to get them building with Fedora's
Java.  Anthony pointed out some problems with this and how to fix
them.

Once you have it building you can make it native as described in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NativeJava

In terms of getting it into Core or Extras, the main thing will be
that xmlbeans requires maven to build, and maven requires 60-70
non-Fedoraized packages just to install, let alone build.  So, it's
not going to happen anytime soon :-/

Cheers,
Gary