[fedora-java] Improving Fedora javadoc

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 12:37:38 UTC 2005

David Walluck wrote:
> Gary Benson wrote:
> > Why is that a problem?  Everything that gcc BuildRequires also
> > BuildRequires gcc.
>
> Personally, I would create two packages in this scenario: %{name}
> (with javadocs enabled) and %{name}-bootstrap (without javadocs).
>
> The idea is to not have cyclic dependencies. These are a nightmare
> when building packages from scratch. A lot of times I see in your
> packages ``bootstrapped into fedora''. Well, this is nice for most
> people I guess, but I don't consider it very free since you likely
> bootstrapped off of a package built with Sun javac and now no one
> else can reproduce it without much work. Granted, not many people
> would want to reproduce it except me anyway, but in principle it's
> not very workable. Finally, this isn't as bad as having prebuilt
> binary jar dependencies, and your example about gcc is valid though
> I am not sure how it is avoidable.

Circular dependencies cannot be avoided for Fedora as a whole because
there are packages which depend upon themselves -- the kernel, gcc,
rpm, etc.  This doesn't make any of those packages not free.

Fedora's build system can of course cope with such dependency loops so
when they're non-trivial to remove I've always been happy for them to
remain.

Besides, the full set of gcc rpms is 100-120Mb _per_arch_, with
another 30Mb of sources.  It's inconceivable that releng would allow
what is essentially a duplicate of something that large whatever I
or anyone else in the Java group decide.

> As a related side-note: jonas is sitting in FC4 now, yet *many*
> packages it requires are not even built for fedora---just Sun built
> and dropped into the source tarball. At least here I would hope the
> non-existent packages are filed in buzilla or someone's TODO
> list.

There's only a couple left in the Fedora JOnAS, but these require
Maven and its 60-70 dependencies that are not yet in Fedora.  I'm
swamped with the 80-90 packages I already maintain!  I should be
getting help Real Soon Now, but until that happens we'll be stuck
with the binary dependencies (and old package versions, and the
other stuff I don't have time to fix).

> As another side note, I have made a package of jss which is a
> binary jar currently used by ldapjdk, and I hope to push this
> out eventually.

Cool.

> I believe xalan-j2 also has prebuilt jars in the build

It does.

> (I wish there was a list of these packages somewhere).

Any Fedora package whose source rpm contains a file that matches
'*RHsemiCLEAN*' is one.

Cheers,
Gary