[fedora-java] Re: Fedora Core 5 Wishlist

Chris Hubick chris at hubick.com
Thu Sep 15 19:32:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:50 -0400, Vadim Nasardinov wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 12:52, Gary Benson wrote:
> > There are several reasons not to do this but the showstopper is that
> > if someone does 'yum install jonas-examples' on an empty system they
> > will not get the native code.
>
> You may extend the RPM spec file with an optional header like the
> following:
>

>     Name: jonas-examples
>
>     ... yadda yadda yadda ...
>
>     CanBeMassivelySpedUpBy: jonas-examples-compiled-by-gcj
>
> With this in place, yum can now fetch jonas-examples-compiled-by-gcj
> if is available.

Or maybe some way to have one package state that it "masks" another
package?

Name: jonas-examples-compiled-by-gcj

# Anyone tries to install 'jonas-examples', they get this
# package instead.
Masks: jonas-examples

# we need the real jonas-examples, because we are *adding*
# to it (binaries), without this line, this package would
# just *replace* the masked one.
Requires: jonas-examples

%install
install our additional binary stuff here

--
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris at hubick.com
http://www.hubick.com/