[fedora-java] Re: Fedora Core 5 Wishlist

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 15:20:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 12:24 +0100, Gary Benson wrote:
> Gary Benson wrote:

> But all this is somewhat tangential to the original point, which was
> that "[if] the JPackage repos are added to a FC4 yum configuration,
> yum will try to overwrite [Fedora] packages with [JPackage]
> packages..."  Allowing the Fedora stack to be extended with JPackage
> packages was and is a key requirement.  There's only one way I can see
> that would prevent the former while still allowing the latter, and
> that's for Fedora's packages to have the same EVR as the JPackage
> packages.  Since that is something we cannot commit to, the problem
> will remain regardless of where the native code is packaged.

I'm starting to think we shouldn't support Fedora Core/JPackage pull
arrangements, only Rawhide/JPackage arrangements.

Fedora Core and JPackage are on different release cycles; FC tends to
have "releases" whereas JPackages are continually updated individually.
I think each project's release strategy makes sense for it but the two
strategies are incompatible.

Without FC/JPackage setups where will people get packages that are in
JPackage but not in FC?  I'm wondering if a JPackage -> Fedora Extras
bridge is in order.  Right before a Fedora release we'd do a drop from
JPackage to Extras of all packages not in Core.  That way FE would be a
snapshot of JPackage at FC release time.  That would insulate FC users
from JPackage churn, while Rawhide users could continue using JPackage
directly.

Tom