[fedora-java] interpreter mystery

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Sun Aug 27 21:02:38 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Anthony" == Anthony Green <green at redhat.com> writes:

Anthony> But looking at rssowl, I see the rssowl .jar.so _is_ being used, but
Anthony> swt's .jar.so isn't (despite being held open by the process).

Anthony> Any ideas or suggestions?

It is possible for the .jar.so to be used by some classes from a given
.jar but not others.  In this situation, maybe some class that is used
rarely (say an initialization class) was used from the .jar.so and the
remaining classes are interpreted.  That could explain why you aren't
seeing it in gdb...

One way to check is to run gij with -verbose:class and look at the
output.  It will tell you which classes are defined "BC-compiled",
which are interpreted, etc.

I don't think there is a super-easy way to check the contents of a
.jar against a given .db -- but you could make a new .db using the SWT
.jar, then dump both the installed .db and the new one, and compare
class signatures using a script.  Maybe the installed .db is corrupted
or made from an old SWT or something.

Tom