[fedora-java] src.zip's and rpms in Eclipse

Ben Konrath bkonrath at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 04:18:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 22:57 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 30 novembre 2006 à 15:25 -0500, Ben Konrath a écrit :
>
> > Yeah, that a good idea and I've wanted this for a while. I was thinking
> > of checking a known location, for example if you add
> > package-version.jar, it would auto-attach package-version-src.zip. This
> > seems to be a convention that eclipse uses. But using a manifest file
> > tag would be more robust.
>
> Manifest is not robust WRT file moves. It's redundant when everyone
> follows the same conventions, and a PITA to track/change when you don't.

I was thinking of somehow specifying the absolute path to the source zip
in the manifest. If the source zip is packaged by the same srpm as jar,
then the location should be known and users shouldn't be just randomly
moving files around. But I agree that it would be a bit of a pain to
modify every java RPM to add a path its manifest specifying the location
of the source zip.

> Much better to specify rigid file location & naming conventions, with
> optional override of the root dir via an env var

Seems reasonable. Eclipse tends to use the naming convention I mentioned
in my initial response (above) so this is what I've been using. As an
example, the libgtk-java packages has these files in /usr/share/java/:

gtk2.8-2.8.7.jar
gtk2.8.jar -> gtk2.8-2.8.7.jar
gtk2.8-src-2.8.7.zip
gtk2.8-src.zip -> gtk2.8-src-2.8.7.zip

I think we should keep this naming convention and have eclipse
automatically attach a source zips with the correct name
(<jarname-version>-src.{zip,jar}) if they are in the same directory as
the external jar. If ECLIPSE_JDT_JAR_SRC_ZIP_DIR is set, Eclipse could
try to load a zip/jar of the same name from the directory specified by
this env variable. What do you think?

Ben