[fedora-java] Re: FC5 release notes for java

Chris Hubick chris at hubick.com
Wed Feb 1 22:05:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 13:22 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 15:05 -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> > I've been really bad about preparing the FC5 release notes for java.  I
> > wrote the followup up today, which I think covers the number 1 issue.
> > Comments?
>
> We moved some of the content around to come up with this:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/PackageNotes/Java

> Chris Hubick -- got your comments.  The content has changed since your
> original reply.  Can you look back at the page and see which of your
> concerns still exist?

The last note says:

> Jpackage is a Java software repository compatible with Fedora.

I think this language could lead to exactly the problem I had with FC4,
where users will read this and run out an do a yum update from the JPP
repository, not knowing it will mess up their FC Java.

> Avoid installing third-party packages that are not compatible with
> the JPackage repository.

> Do not install RPM packages from vendors such as Sun Microsystems,
> IBM, or BEA without first repackaging them using the appropriate
> JPackage wrapper or compatibility package. Failure to do so leads
> to unpredictable results.

I also think this language is a little strong/absolute sounding.  I
personally would offer more of a "doing so *can* lead to problems with
the shipped solutions" stance (if you don't know what you are doing).
That is to say, if you do go ahead and take a stock FC5 box and install
Sun's RPM and non-jpackage Java software, as long as your path's are
right, it *will* probably work.

The other thing I notice is the complete lack of another note clause
resembling the proposed:

"Please note that despite utilizing the JPackage installation
guidelines, several of the Java application software packages shipped
with Fedora have been slightly modified from those provided by JPackage,
in order to work out of the box with the included compiler and runtime
environment.  Additionally, the Fedora packages also include
pre-compiled fast and optimized native binary code alongside the
original Java bytecode JAR files.  As a result, if you modify your Yum
configuration and update to application software packages shipped
directly through the JPackage Yum repository, you will end up with an
unpredictable mix of bytecode and binary software.  So although Fedora
allows the use of JPackage for installing alternate Java Runtime
Environments, JPackage is not necessarily recommended for the Java
application software packages which use that runtime.  Users wishing to
maintain a supported software platform, by using the Free Java Runtime
Environment shipped with Fedora, are advised to only update their
systems with Java application software packages provided through the
Fedora and Fedora Extras Yum repositories, and not directly through
JPackage unless they also plan to switch to one of their
alternate/proprietary Java runtimes.  The Fedora provided application
software packages should continue to work with other Java Runtime
Environments which follow JPackage guidelines, but as stated above,
there is a good chance unmodified JPackage applications will not work
with the default Runtime Environment shipped with Fedora."

Do people not think this is a good idea then?  Too verbose?

I hesitate to edit the wiki myself, as historically I have been just a
lowly Fedora user, I don't know what you dev's want, and don't want to
step on anyones toes, and lastly as a programmer, my spelling,
punctuation, capitalization, and grammar skills need some... ehh...
refinement (as if you couldn't tell already :).

--
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris at hubick.com
http://www.hubick.com/