[fedora-java] status on FOP, Saxon

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 23:31:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 01:23 -0500, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 13:47 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > Since FC5 has slipped its schedule so far out, we were hoping we might
> > get a toolchain using an ecj compiled FOP into test3.
> >
> > We're currently relying upon a hacked version of xmlto that includes FOP
> > and Saxon as targets, and we need to get FOP and Saxon in Fedora Extras
> > to justify the upstream maintainer accepting the patch.
> >
> > 1. Where are we on a natively compiled FOP?
>
> I've been focusing on getting upstream Batik building on GNU Classpath.
> To support all of its features, we need to implement
> javax.imageio.plugins.jpeg for which there is currently a partial
> implementation that I'm working to finish.  This work will probably not
> be completed before FC5 final ships.
>
> That said, we may be able to pare some of these features out of Batik to
> support just enough for FOP to run.  I just noticed that JPackage has
> already packaged FOP, Saxon and Batik and that we include them in RHAPS,
> so I'm going to see how far I get building them on the free stack.
>
> > 2. Can we compile Saxon with ecj as well?
>
> I'm not sure; I'll let you know how far I get.

I worked my way through building Batik's dependencies today.  Most of
them are not in Fedora Core or Extras so I'll have to maintain them
myself.  Here's the list so far:

libreadline-java
ht2html
ant-contrib
jython
mysql-connector-java

With a few hacks around Sun-specific classes these packages all build on
the free stack.

Batik also requires Rhino which requires jaxen, dom4j and maven, which
itself has 80 dependencies most of which are not in Fedora.

I'm hoping that Rhino is only needed for SVG Javascript support and that
I can build Batik without this support.  I assume you don't need it for
documentation.

I'll keep you updated on my progress building Batik-sans-Rhino.

> > 3. Are there any volunteers to package these for Extras?
>
> Yes, I'll package and maintain them since they're excellent test cases
> for GNU Classpath's Java2D support.

Actually these packages should be maintained in Fedora Extras by the
RHAPS maintainers.  I'll see if this is an option.

Tom