[fedora-java] 64-bit java code

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 10:18:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:38 +0000, Gary Benson wrote:
> Anthony Green wrote:
> > On x86-64 systems we're building all the java bits as 64-bit.  Has
> > anybody looked at whether or not this is a good idea (vs 32-bit), or
> > is it just done that way by default?
>
> If x86_64 users want 32-bit code they can just install the i386 rpms.
> Or did you mean something else?

If I install the x86_64 Fedora Core, Eclipse is a 64-bit application.
The only thing we know for sure is that this is bigger than the 32-bit
version.  Unless there are some compelling advantages perhaps we should
consider building all the java code in 32-bit mode (perhaps -m32
-msse2).  I'm not sure the ability to address 64-bits of memory is
compelling for these apps yet.  Are we just consuming more memory for no
reason?

AG