[fedora-java] 64-bit java code

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 10:41:37 UTC 2006

Anthony Green wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:38 +0000, Gary Benson wrote:
> > Anthony Green wrote:
> > > On x86-64 systems we're building all the java bits as 64-bit.
> > > Has anybody looked at whether or not this is a good idea (vs
> > > 32-bit), or is it just done that way by default?
> >
> > If x86_64 users want 32-bit code they can just install the i386
> > rpms.  Or did you mean something else?
>
> If I install the x86_64 Fedora Core, Eclipse is a 64-bit
> application.  The only thing we know for sure is that this is
> bigger than the 32-bit version.  Unless there are some compelling
> advantages perhaps we should consider building all the java code
> in 32-bit mode (perhaps -m32 -msse2).  I'm not sure the ability
> to address 64-bits of memory is compelling for these apps yet.
> Are we just consuming more memory for no reason?

You could say the same for ls :)

I don't know.  A lot of Eclipse's dependencies are used by Tomcat and
JOnAS, and JOnAS's testsuite has issues with running out of address
space on 32-bit.  That's one instance where 64-bit is useful: I expect
there are others.  I bet there's people out there who'd get upset if
all the Java stuff got rebuilt as 32-bit.

Cheers,
Gary