[fedora-java] 64-bit java code

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 11:05:42 UTC 2006

Anthony Green writes:
 > On x86-64 systems we're building all the java bits as 64-bit.  Has
 > anybody looked at whether or not this is a good idea (vs 32-bit), or is
 > it just done that way by default?

I've thought about it.  It's generally a good thing: code generation
is generally better for 64-bit AMD64, and we don't run into the
horrible 32-bit address space limitations with large numbers of
threads.  Also, the gc seems to perform a bit better, although that's
harder to quantify.

On the downside, programs occupy a bit more memory.

And, importantly, there hasn't been very much testing of these Java
programs on 64-bit gcj.  Well, here goes...

Andrew.