[fedora-java] 64-bit java code

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 11:25:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:41 +0000, Gary Benson wrote:
> You could say the same for ls :)

True.  My only experience with multi-ABI systems so far has been with
MIPS64 Linux which, like x86-64, support 64- and 32-bit ABIs (actually,
two different 32-bit ABIs simultaneously, for a total of 3).  We chose
to build all of userland with one of the 32-bit ABIs, and then provide
64-bit libraries for application developers who really wanted 64-bit of
addressable memory for their apps.  It looks like x86-64 Linux is doing
almost the exact opposite.  64-bits is the default and 32-bit libs exist
for compatibility.

> I don't know.  A lot of Eclipse's dependencies are used by Tomcat and
> JOnAS, and JOnAS's testsuite has issues with running out of address
> space on 32-bit.  That's one instance where 64-bit is useful: I expect
> there are others.

Ok, that's good to know.

AG