[fedora-java] How to setup full-fledged Java development environment under FC5?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Mar 31 17:22:55 UTC 2006

Folks,

I am at an impasse in deciding if it is worth taking the time
to get a Java development environment setup on FC5 for the
simple reason that FC5 recommends using their NATIVE ports
instead of using the "normal" download apps such as Sun's software,
Eclipse's software and so on.  The confusion lies in not knowing
what course of action to take coupled with the FC5 caveat that
by not using the FC native ports and properly installing Java
applications may break your work on Java.  This caveat alone
stops me from considering FC5 as a serious contender for a Java
development platform.

On top of all of this, FC5's Java porting time-line plans states
that there are some serious work needed to get it all working right
(Swing/AWT, others?) so it seems to me that FC5 is just not ready
for a serious Java programming development environment and who
knows when and if it will be ready?

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get a serious
Java development environment setup going?  I want to have
full flexibility to download and install Eclipse tools and
applications without being unencumbered with Fedora's port
version preventing such operations, for example if I need
to get RCP, WSP, Swing, AWT, and the zillions of other things
that are rapidly being released by the Eclipse community.

BTW: I have already visited the Fedora Java Wiki site
(http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ) and
(http://www.jpackage.org/) but it is not "HOW TO" setup your Java
development environment.

So...  how can I proceed?