[fedora-java] OOo Performance?

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Thu Mar 16 11:10:38 UTC 2006

Hi Caolan,

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:03 +0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:50 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > The first time you use an wizard is indeed pretty slow, it sits there
> > eating up 100% CPU for a couple of seconds (at least on my
> > Debian/unstable box,
>
> Yeah, there's no argument that it does that, I just think it does pretty
> much the same thing with sun java that it does with gcj. On your debian
> box what's the java being used by OOo ?, quite probably gcj as well.

Yes it uses gcj.

> > I cannot get ooffice from FC5/rawhide to work
> > unfortunately. It seems stuck in the splash screen according to gdb
> > somewhere in reading the font cache). But after that using the wizards
> > works just fine.
>
> I'm a bit bewildered here :-), how can using the wizards of the redhat
> build work just fine if you couldn't get the rh ooffice to work at all ?

Sorry for being confusing. I meant on Debian of course. (Sorry still a
Debian junky.) On Fedora FC5/Rawhide latest yum update thing, openoffice
never fully starts up for me. On Debian after the first use of the
wizard (which takes a couple of seconds) all other uses of the wizards
seems without any noticeable delays.

Cheers,

Mark