[fedora-java] OOo Performance?

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 13:52:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:36 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Caolan McNamara writes:
>  > On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:42 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  > > Here are the profile data without any symbols.  As you can see, it's
>  > > mostly the shared library loader.
>  >
>  > Nearly all of OOo's startup and timing woes boil down to shared library
>  > relocations :-(. Hence the redhat custom swriter/scalc/sdraw
>  > prelink-friendly launchers, and the novell -Bdirect work. Not much we
>  > can do inside OOo to help such dlopened stuff I guess.
>
> Does dlopened stuff not work with prelinking?

No, from prelink/doc/prelink.tex

"
As has been mentioned earlier, prelink cannot speed up loading shared
libraries using dlopen, since it cannot predict in which order and what
shared libraries will be loaded (and thus cannot compute conflict
fixups).
"

> Anyway, the other interesting thing is the huge amount of _kernel_
> time each time a wizard is used.  What on earth can this be?

To be honest the java stuff is really an edge-case in OOo performance,
and I don't think anyone has looked into it very seriously.

C.