Re: [fedora-java] Re: ld doesn't know about location of libjvm

Braden McDaniel wrote:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:51:18 -0500, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

Braden McDaniel wrote:

[snip]

It's looking like my best option is to eke out all the information I
can from libgcj.pc. Assuming libjvm.so is reliably installed in
${libdir}/gcj-${gcj_version} across distributions, I should be able to
get what I need from it.
The problem with this approach is that this directory is versioned.  So
if you hard-code /usr/lib/gcj-4.1.1 into your application, it will break
when the user upgrades to gcj 4.1.2.  You could do a search for
/usr/lib*/gcj-*, but this is something that java-gcj-compat is intended
to do for you; it always keeps its unversioned libjvm.so symlink
pointing to the right place.

Sigh. That's a good point.

Once you fold java-gcj-compat into libgcj, what would you think of
publishing a JAVA_HOME variable in the pkg-config metadata?

Yes, good idea.  I'll do that.

Tom