[fedora-java] default vm memory settings for fedora eclipse

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 21:04:46 UTC 2007

* Ben Konrath <bkonrath at redhat.com> [2007-08-31 15:49]:

> Now that Eclipse requires IcedTea by deault on x86 and x86_64 I'd like
> to change the default vm memory settings to be something a little more
> sane. Right now the -vmargs option is set to "-Xms40m -Xmx256m". What
> should I change it to?

I think a higher minimum is in order.  There's actually a bug open at
eclipse.org (I don't have the number handy) about this.  IIRC, the
platform team didn't want to change the default since they're not
shipping an IDE :)  There were sensible values in the bug, though.

FWIW, when I use IcedTea I use:

-Xms512m
-Xmx512m
-XX:PermSize=128m