[fedora-java] Another weird jpackage/Fedora thing

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 10:43:20 UTC 2007

With the most recent update to Eclipse, I again had the following
sequence. Before this whole process, I had tomcat5-5.5.20-5jpp from
JPackage installed. (NB: I don't actually *use* tomcat, but other
stuff pulls it in)

I attempted "yum update". The dependency-checking output included:
--> Processing Dependency: tomcat5 >= 5.5.17 for package: eclipse-platform
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for tomcat5 to pack into transaction set.
tomcat5-5.5.17-6jpp.2.i38 100% |=========================|  24 kB    00:00
---> Package tomcat5.i386 0:5.5.17-6jpp.2 set to be updated

And the proposed set of resolved dependencies included:
Installing for dependencies:
 tomcat5                 i386       5.5.17-6jpp.2    core              318 k

After I hit "Y" and all of the packages downloaded, I got:
Transaction Check Error:   package tomcat5-5.5.20-5jpp (which is newer
than tomcat5-5.5.17-6jpp.2) is already installed

Well, yes, that's true. But it shouldn't even have tried to install
the older one, should it? The dependency is on ">= 5.5.17" ...

Anyway, to solve this, I did "rpm -e --nodeps tomcat5" and then the
yum update, which correctly downloaded installed tomcat5-5.5.17-6jpp.2
from Core as part of its dependency solving.

Then, when I did a second "yum update", it happily updated me to
tomcat5-5.5.20-5jpp from jpackage again.

So Eclipse and JPackage tomcat seem to be able to coexist happily (at
least at the dependency level) as long as tomcat is updated after
Eclipse. But somehow every time I try to do an update, yum wants to
install the older tomcat again even though it's already got a newer
one it appears to be happy with.

Is this something to do with the fact that the core package is i386
and the JPP one is noarch? Or something else? It seems to be a
yum-level problem, probably, but I just wanted to see if anyone else
had insights.

Thanks!

MEF

--