[fedora-java] Packaging RXTX

Alphonse Van Assche alcapcom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:16:01 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I need some help to packaging RXTX from (rxtx.org). This library is
needed to build the Terminal serial line connector of the Eclipse TM
(Target Management) project. The serial connector use only two libs of
RXTX, librxtxParallel.so and librxtxSerial.so.

My first idea was to create a dedicate package for RXTX but the problem
is that RXTX native libs need to live in ...java/lib/arch (it's a JRE
extension), so the package can only be installed for the default JRE.

Martin Oberhuber (the TM Project Lead) have work on a RXTX Eclipse
bundles so that it can be used in Eclipse plugins with a "vanilla" JRE,
nice work! These bundles include the native libs and the classes.

So the second idea is to build RXTX inside the eclipse-rxtx package and
  replace the native libs and the .class files before building the RXTX
plugins.

PS: RXTX bundles are not yet available on the web but Martin work on
that with Trent Jarvi (upstream guy) to get an update site on the
rxtx.org web site, see
http://mailman.qbang.org/pipermail/rxtx/Week-of-Mon-20070129/848211.html
for more details.

Any help would be appreciate.