[fedora-java] auto-provides and requires for OSGi packages

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 21:33:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

We'd like Eclipse packages (which we want to extend to all OSGi
packages and then to whatever module system Sun puts into Java 7 or 8)
to have RPM automatically generate Provides and Requires.  This is
similar to how it's done for DSOs or perl, python, or mono modules.

Example:

$ rpm -q --requires tomboy
[I've stripped the non-mono requirements]
mono(glib-sharp) = 2.10.0.0
mono(gnome-sharp) = 2.16.0.0
mono(gtk-sharp) = 2.10.0.0

$ rpm -q --provides gnome-sharp
mono(gnome-sharp) = 2.16.0.0

I imagine this will manifest itself in a shell script to run over jars
in a certain location and extract their META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and parse
out the OSGi provides and requires.  It would of course be better to do
this as an OSGi app but I wonder how the RPM guys would feel about
having an Eclipse or Java dependency.

I don't think we want to do something like java(modulename) yet, but
just having it automatically generate these lists would get us a long
way there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kyu Lee is going to investigate this and will keep us posted as he
progresses.

Andrew